Founded in 1993
  Year: 1999 | Volume: 7 | Issue: 4 | Pages: 163-166
  Original Article
  RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN LYMPHOPROLIFERATIVE RESPONSE IN VITRO AND OTHER IMMUNE PARAMETERS IN LYMPHOID MALIGNANCIES
Milica MARINKOVIC, Zoran RADOJICIC, Dusanka MILOSEVIC, Milan PETROVIC, Svetislav JELIC
  DOI:
  Abstract:
  Background: The phytohaemagglutinin (PHA)-induced lymphoproliferative response in vitro (LPR) is widely used for monitoring the functional properties of peripheral blood cells, even in malignant lymphoproliferative diseases (LPD). However, it is unresolved to what extent malignant lymphoproliferation may interfere LPR and, thus, lessen its importance in immunological research in LPD.
Material and Methods: In this study, we attempted to estimate the accordance of LPR with immune reactions in LPD patients before, during and after the therapy. For this purpose we applied regression analysis (Backward method) of LPR and various immune parameters: the number of total and mononuclear leukocytes, percentage of T and B lymphocytes and their subpopulations null lymphocytes, monocytes and phagocytic activity, concentrations of serum IgG, IgA, IgM and immune complexes (IC), to reveal those which are determinate for LPR and, thus, indicating LPR relationship with immune system function. In addition, we analyzed the correlation between observed and, by determinate parameters, predicted LPR values, in order to provide some evidence of the extent of LPR accordance with immune functions.
Results: The results showed that LPR was decreased in majority of patients before the therapy, and that it was not affected by the treatment of patients. Several immune parameters (the number of total leukocytes, the percentage of CD4+ and ARFC subpopulations of T lymphocytes, YC-RFC and serum IgM, IgA and IC concentrations) were determinate for LPR during the whole follow-up. The proper quantitative LPR prediction, by parameters determined by regression analysis, was obtained in 64% of patients before the therapy. However, in remaining 36% of patients before, in 80% during and in 55% after the therapy, it could not have been predicted by considered immune parameters.
Conclusion: These results suggest that, although LPR may be determined by immune parameters, it may not be considered the reflection of immune system funcion in 36% patients before, 80% during and in 55% of patients after the therapy.
  Key words: Lymphoproliferative response in vitro; Immune parameters; Malignant lymphoproliferative diseases
  Read full text in PDF [Full Text]
Next article

Previous article

Table of contents

Browse all Volumes

Search all Volumes
By keywords
By authors

  Search AoO for:
 

  Related articles in AoO:
 
About Journal | Editorial Board | Editorial Policy | Instructions for Authors | Open Access | Advertising | Payed issues | Article Submission Charge | Contact
Founder, owner and publisher: Oncology Institute of Vojvodina, Serbia
Online since 1997 (Abstracts only); 2000 (Abstracts and Full text)
ISSN: 0354-7310 eISSN: 1450-9520